Great opportunities at house and garden that Inspired JM Barrie when it opens as the National Centre for Children’s Literature and Storytelling
Friendly and enthusiastic volunteers are being sought to help in the house and garden where Peter Pan began.
Moat Brae, in Dumfries, will fully open to the public from 1 June as the country’s National Centre for Children’s Literature and Storytelling.
The new international visitor attraction, in the lovely refurbished Georgian property where J.M. Barrie played as a boy, is being set up to promote and encourages imagination, creativity and play, for everyone to enjoy.
Natasha Kinsella, Moat Brae Volunteer Co-Ordinator, said: “We are looking for friendly and enthusiastic volunteers to help provide a warm and welcoming environment to families and other visitors.
“Volunteers will play an important role answering questions from visitors, supporting the front of house team and Head Gardener as well as igniting the imagination and creativity of our all our visitors.”
The house has four main floors and The Neverland Discovery Garden, Peter’s Place, J.M. Barrie’s Dumfries, StoryWorlds and Revisiting Neverland.
Discovery guides will help provide a friendly and engaging introduction to the interpretation of the house encouraging visitors to imagine, explore and play.
Volunteering brings all sorts of benefits including:
- Develop skills and experience in a visitor centre/arts and cultural setting
- Enhancing a CV
- Meeting new people and getting active in the community
- Inspiring the imagination of children, young people and adults
- Enjoying being part of a motivated and passionate teamMoat Brae volunteer opportunities
In the house: Engaging visitors with the stories of J.M. Barrie’s life, the history of the house and Peter Pan. There will be:
- Costumed interpreters
- Storytelling roles
- Room guidesIn the garden: Neverland Discovery Garden volunteers will work alongside our Head Gardener to help keep this beautiful space in perfect condition for visitors.
Schools tours: If you have experience working with children and can harness your inner child Moat Brae is looking for people to deliver guided tours to schoolchildren of all ages.
Guided tours: Those who are passionate about history and architecture might like to volunteer to lead guided tours.
- Click here to let us know you are interested